Thursday, September 24, 2009

Spinach and Ham Delight

This is one of the best things I have ever made and maybe better than most of the things my mom has made. It's up there on my list of best meals ever.
It is a Creamed Spinach and Ham Broiler on White. I need to start by just saying that I love Rachel Ray. I have made a dozen or so of her ideas. Up until this week it had all been her Christmas cookies topping my list of great things. I must clarify that my mom and I both watched 30 minute meals when it was in it's hayday. My mom did and still does make things of RR and often times I would help as well. I should also point out that I don't follow directions all that well when it comes to cooking. So I will post a recipe and then also tell you what I did differently.





The first thing I changed was the cheese. Now, I'm a big fan of cheese. My top favorite cheese is Mozzarella. The only thing that would make it better is it being melted. I switched mozzarella for the gruyere that she wants you to use, not because it's a nasty cheese because it is far from that, it is because it is a pretty pricey cheese. Also dear college kids, you can sometimes go cheaper on your cheese but produce is something I can't go cheap on and you shouldn't eather. If you can, get your butt to a farmers market and buy it FRESH! If not for things like the delightful tomato, pay a little more at your local Walmart or Kroger and buy on the vine. Trust me it's so worth the few cents more. Also She wants you to use a country loaf of white bread, but I used Ciabatta instead.


I just starting loving spinach a few years ago, and now its something I just can't eat enough of. At any rate this just happens to be creamed spinach that started as a bag of spinach, a stick of butter, and some flour.








This is the finished product. And I have to say that the end result made a great ending to a day that was spent in classes all day. And Beats Raman anyday!













Happy Non-raman Day!
Erin


No comments:

Post a Comment